1205 W. Franklin Street
St. James Episcopal Church is located at 1205 W. Franklin Street, one block from the James Ewell Brown (J.E.B.) Stuart monument, on the southwest corner of Franklin and Birch Streets, a lot purchased from the University of Richmond. It is the second St. James Episcopal Church in Richmond, with its cornerstone laid May 7, 1912 after the location of the first church, located at Marshall and Fifth Streets, became unsavory to its parishioners. Noise, overcrowding, ubiquitous retail stores and markets, and the construction of a new street rail were all reasons for moving the new church farther west. Built in English Renaissance style, notable architectural elements are its six massive Corinthian columns and imposing spire over the entrance. The first service in the new location was held on June 22, 1913, and the church continues to operate today.
Griggs, W. S. (2017). Historic Richmond Churches and Synagogues. Charleston, SC: History Press.