1121 West Franklin Street
German Jews who emigrated from Europe to Richmond in the 1830s and 1840s initially found a place of worship at Beth Shalome. Wanting their own synagogue that followed the Ashkenazic ritual, they established Beth Ahabah (“House of Love”) and met in a rented home on Marshall Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets. By 1848, a new synagogue was consecrated on Eleventh Street between Clay and Marshall Streets. By 1898, Beth Ahabah merged with Beth Shalome, necessitating a new synagogue large enough to serve the congregation. In 1904, a new synagogue was built in neoclassical style at the corner of Ryland and Franklin Streets, where it stands today.
Griggs, W. S. (2017). Historic Richmond Churches and Synagogues. Charleston, SC: History Press.