G.W. Carver Elementary School is named for the noted scientist, George Washington Carver (1864-1943). The school was originally called the Moore Street School because the sixteen-classroom, two-story brick building constructed in 1886-87 fronted Moore Street. In 1908-09, a ten-classroom annex was built. The more modern (1951) two story brick building, at 1110 West Leigh Street, comprised twenty classrooms, a cafeteria, a library, and an auditorium. The school’s name was changed from Moore Street School to G. W. Carver Elementary School when the 1951 building was occupied. The most recent addition was completed in 1992. It contains sixteen classrooms. This addition allowed students housed in the Baker Street Annex to move on site.
Presently, George Washington Carver Elementary’ School serves approximately 500 students in grades PK – 5 and Exceptional Education. It is our hope that Carver School, which has served the educational needs of boys and girls for over one hundred years, will continue to do so for many more years to come.