1603 Monument Avenue
Asmall group of German Lutherans gathered in Richmond to found St. Mark’s Lutheran Church In 1869. There were two other Lutheran congregations in the city worshiping in the German language at that time. In 1876, the members of the fledgling congregation changed their name to First English to emphasize their commitment to ministry in the language of this country. In 1911 the congregation made a bold move and built a new church at Stuart Circle on Monument Avenue, which at that time was at the western limits of the city.